Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Change of plans

So, yesterday, Owen had FOUR shots at his 5 year check up. We had talked about it with him for about a month to get him prepared as much as we could. He did great! God really gave him courage and peace. He cried some, but over all he did great. We were so proud of him! The nurses were great too - they showered him with multiple lollipops and stickers AND a kindergarten work book. He was thrilled! We went to Chick-fil-A that night to celebrate a job well done.

Well, today, Owen was rather cranky and lethargic after naptime. I was getting irritated at him because it seemed he was in a funk! I was feeling like I couldn't handle a funk with two other kids to tend to (which is a matter of my heart and having compassion and finding strength in the Lord and not myself...but that is a story for another day!). I realized his eyes were looking pretty glassy and he was warm. He had a fever of 102 degrees! No wonder he was laying on the couch like a bump! The nurse at the doctor's office said it was normal given the fact that he had 4 shots 24 hours ago! Give motrin and if it doesn't go down, call back. We have given motrin and it's starting to go down.

We were supposed to go to church tonight for the monthly church dinner. We were going to stay for the nursery and adult education class that Matt is starting tonight. I wasn't going to have to make dinner. I wasn't going to have to have all three kids by myself. We were going to go and enjoy fellowship. We were going to go so I could just rest a bit. BUT, God had other things in mind for tonight. He had a change of plans. Not that he is against all of the things I listed above, but for tonight it wasn't what he had planned for us.

I had a choice. I could mope the rest of the night (which my heart is prone to do!) or I could choose to love and serve my feverish child and his two siblings. AND his daddy so that Matt could freely stay at church and be fully present there. I give all glory to the Lord, for I was able to chose the 2nd option. And it's been the sweetest night!! We whipped up some chocolate chip pancakes and strawberry applesauce - nothing like a sugar over load to heal a fever right?! We enjoyed our dinner together while Lucy took a quick little nap. Now, the boys are enjoying a movie night (watching Leap Frog Math to the Moon). Owen made a family rule (that is what he called it) that if anyone has a fever on a Wednesday night that we're supposed to go to church we get to stay home and have a movie night. That is one rule I can agree to!

I am writing all of this not to brag that I made a wise choice, but to boast in the Lord and His work and HIs providence. If only I could always entrust myself to Him like this - what sweet times would follow! I hope that tomorrow when something I have planned goes awry for one reason or another I remember this! Chances are I'll forget, so please remind me!

2 comments:

Ali said...

God is good! I hope Owen feels better tomorrow.

The Sinks said...

Kristen, I can so relate to this! A couple of weeks ago, both my kids had the flu. It was into our second month of almost constant illness for at least one person in our family. Being quite pregnant (which means tired, sore, and irritable), I was just weary from it all. Finally, it occurred to me that my one and only job was to love on my sick babies. I scrapped any hopes of accomplishing anything all day, for days. Each day I prepared myself that nothing would get done; no dishes, laundry, etc. while the kids were awake. I was simply and only to hold them and care for them. It made the days so much better. It wasn't easy, but keeping my expectations and priorities in check was so good for my attitude and heart. I still struggle to keep that perspective most of the time, so thank you for your post of encouragement and reminder!