Friday, October 14, 2011

Owen's first story

I found this idea on a blog that the women who wrote "A well trained mind" (which is what we have based our curriculum off of) had posted. They suggested that your child narrate a story to you, you type it out (or write it out I guess). I thought it would be neat to also print out the story, have him illustrate it, and then staple it together like a mini-book.

Here is what he came up with. It came out of him like he was just waiting for me to ask him a story. So sweet. Can you tell that he's read a book about lost treasure and that we have been reading Charlotte's Web together!! :)

Title: "Owen's first scene: A Spider Web Message"

p.1 "One day, I was walking down the street, and I saw a spider web. The spider web was so big that I could fit in it."
p.2 "And on the spider web was a secret message. It said "Across the sea you will find the last of the lasts treasure chest."
p.3 "And when I found the treasure chest, it was so great I wanted to keep it. And I opened it. And I saw lots and lots and lots of gold pennies. But then, I had to go back to my own home. See you next time. Good Bye! THE END."

2 comments:

Christine M. Owens said...

Great story! Very creative. Maybe later this year he could go back and add more/edit! I'd like to know more about this treasure.

It's amazing how kids have these stories in their heads all ready to go! I don't give the kids prompts for essays anymore. They write really interesting stories and I like reading them a lot better than "My summer vacation was . . . "

Love you, C!

Christine M. Owens said...

What a great story! It would be cool if he added ideas to his "first story" later this year. I want to know more about the treasure!

It's amazing how kids have these stories in their minds all ready to go. I don't give prompts on essays (like I do on quick writes in their journals). I tell them to pick something from their journal to develop. It's so much more fun to read than "My summer vacation was . . . "

Love you, C!