Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Simple Truth

It's been a while since I have forced (I say forced because it had to be a really concerted effort to go sit and read instead of go sit and zone out) myself to sit down in the middle of the day (during rest time) to read the Bible and spend time with the Lord. When rest time hits, I either have a list of 101 things I want/need to get done in the hour and a half (or so) ahead of me OR I am so tired from the day that I just want to sit and zone out at the computer or lay down and rest. Now, the reality is that each day I WILL have something to get done AND it is good to zone out a little and lay down a little. Those are all important parts of the day. I was just doing those and neglecting the time in the Word.

So today sat on the couch with my Bible and my journal as soon as I got everyone settled in rest/nap time and got the downstairs straightened up. From 1:35-1:48 I read my Bible, I wrote some things out about what I was thinking/how I was processing the things I had read, and I prayed (a little).

I have to say, it was the most beneficial 13 minutes of my day AND there was still plenty of time to get things ready for our school day tomorrow, iron Matt's shirts and fold the load of laundry I did this morning. AND what is better than that is that I am able to be more aware of the Lord and more sure of His presence with me and more empowered by Him instead of living in my own little world on my own strength.

I was thinking mostly about verse 10 in Psalm 46, "Be still and know that I am God." Talk about simple! Yet it's also quite profound. I was encouraged to remember that I am not God (I can not do all things, and that is ok. Sometimes we need to remember the frame He has given us....one that needs to sit and rest, one that needs to call out for His strength, one that needs to be recharged and encouraged. We can not do this on our own, He has not made us to do this on our own. He has provided His Spirit and His Son and each other to help us!), that this is His world (so I can trust all things to Him and I can follow His ways instead of try to make my own way), and that He is to be trusted and that He loves me and cares for me. He is God, and that is good news for me today. I am not. I can go do my chores and go love my kids with and for Him.

2 comments:

Becky Roy said...

Thanks for those great reminders. Especially after a tough day for me today, it's great to be reminded of the truth. God is so, so good...

Hope to see yall soon!
Love, Becky

J. H. Harris said...

thanks for that reminder, Kristen. It's so hard to be still, so hard to meditate on God's word instead of the ever-lengthening to-do list! Your little family is growing up so fast! :)