Thursday, October 08, 2009

Week 3 - The Trinity

I realized a few minutes into this one that it was a lot to bite off!! As an adult, I have such a limited understanding of God in respect to the trinity. Explaining it to a 3 1/2 year old was challenging, and clarifying. Sometimes it helps to explain a large concept to a small person - makes you nail down some of the main points.

We used a few different things to help with this. One is a new book that we borrowed from a friend called "3 in 1 A picture of God" by Marxhausen. By far the best description I have ever read. He uses an apple as an analogy and does a great job explaining how our ONE God has THREE parts.



Another helpful tool is the Children's Catechsim. The questions about the trinity are:

Q. Is there more than one true God?
A. No, there is only one true God.

Q. In how many persons does this one God exist?
A. In three persons.

Q. Name these three persons.
A. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. (Owen always adds an Amen here because our pastor ends his prayers that way)

Next we (mostly I) created a diagram of the trinity that Matt had found in the ESV Study Bible notes. This is where I realized I might have been better off choosing another topic. But, with that said, I"m thankful to speak often that we believe that there is only one true God to tell Owen more and more about who He is.



Then we cut ONE piece of paper into THREE parts. (The three parts then became five parts, but he was just a little scissor happy!)



Today we made a fun apple tote bag. This might be the most creative thing I have done/or will ever do. We used an apple to talk about the three parts of God and then we used apple stamps to make an A is for Apple bag with Owen's name on it. Owen enjoyed some apple while I got the paint ready. (I had seen this post at my friend Christianne's blog this week and it helped me to think of something more than a simple apple print on paper for our craft time. She has a lot of great ideas! Check her blog out - Little Page Turners.









(Just a little spill on the top right - oh well!)

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Kristen,
You are doing such a fabulous job. You are so creative and I know Owen is loving having you teach him at home. I love reading about all your great ideas.

Adam Pastor said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.