Friday, August 17, 2012

Songs in the car

I am convinced that the music we listen to our car is about 90% for me and 10% for our kids. God uses it in big ways to speak to me and remind me of certain things throughout the day. At any given moment we are either listening to Magic Treehouse books on CD (these don't have that same effect on me!) or some sort of Bible songs for kids or other children's worship music. I am not necessarily against other kinds of music, but I am convinced that having the Words of scripture floating through our car has only a positive effect. There have been MANY times that we have had a hard time getting to the car (lots of disobedience by the kids and lots of impatience or angry words from me) and I turn the car on only to hear "God made you special and He loves you..." (Andrew Peterson) or "You are always loving, You are never rude..." (Be Like Jesus by Soverign Grace ministries) or "Do not be anxious...about anything...but in everything...by prayer and petition with thanksgiving in your hearts..." (Seeds Family Worship). It has a way of melting my hard heart and softening it towards God and my kids! Today it was a free CD that we found at church that contains songs that would go along with an old Sunday School curriculum. We've he the CD for years now, Owen likes to listen to it during his rest time some days. Somehow it made it's way into our CD changer in the car. As we drove along today two songs struck me and just washed the Truth of God over me. One was speaking about God calling us to share His love with other people, and the promise that He will be with us wherever we go. The simple reminder that wether I am at home or out and about, or for my friends who are overseas serving Christ and His church there, or wherever we find ourselves from day to day that He is with me. How is it that the most simple truths can be so profound?! If He is with me, I need not be afraid. If He is with me, I have strength to parent my three kids even when it's really hard. If He is with me, I can make it through the day even when I have gone to bed late the last few days getting ready for school to start. If He is with me, I can enjoy fellowship with Him all through the day. The other song was a simple refrain of "God is good" but it was sung in a few different languages. That served as a reminder that this God who is with me and who is my God is such a great and wonderful God that He is known in every language by people of every trip and tongue and nation. What a great God! It's His world that we live in, and it's in Him that it all holds together. Good news was washing over me and filling my heart and mind with the glorious reality of our God and His love for me. Thank you God for using such simple means to remind me of who you are and of your love for me!

No comments: