Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Some school fun...

Here are some of the things we've been up to in school recently! We were able to take a 2 week break which has been nice, though I'm getting excited to start back up again. I've been planning our "spring semester" and am looking forward to what it holds! I may do a second post with some ideas I have for the spring for those of you who enjoy things like that :) But for now, here are a few things we enjoyed right before Christmas...

This was SUPPOSED to be green boxes which would look like a Christmas Tree when assembled, but I didn't have the energy to wrap 6 boxes in green paper, SO...we did clear boxes. Still fun. We used the words from John 3:16 (part of our Why Advent?! time in school) and they had to put them in order and then assemble the "tree." Owen could do it by reading the words to the verse, I put numbers on it for Baxter so that he could participate too. I got this idea from the Impress Your Kids website.



We did a "blends scavenger hunt" that I saw on education.com. I wrote out some blends that we had been working on in Owen's phonics book (fr, cr, st, sk, and so on) on index cards and laid them out on the floor. Owen had to go around the house and finds things that started with those blends and bring them to the school room. A few things were too big to bring, so he brought the index card to the item (ex. the FRidge and SKim milk).



Brothers! They continue to grow in relating with one another which is one joy in having Owen home this year. They fight and squabble like brothers, but they are also growing in friendship!




We got this idea from Owen's preschool teacher from when he was 3 (she is now Baxter's teacher and offered to get coffee with me one day to share a few math ideas from her days teaching Kindergarten/1st grade. I quickly accepted and we have LOVED her ideas! Thanks Mrs. McGurn!!). This is a race to $1.00 - you roll a dice and take the same amount of cents for the number you rolled. As you go, you trade in 5 cents for a nickel, 10 cents for a dime, etc all the way up to $1.00. Tons of fun for my math-minded boy!

No comments: