Friday, June 17, 2011

Burp Burp Chicken Little...

I have read quotes about motherhood all day long - the Lord must be graciously reminding me of the calling He has given me! He knew I needed a little refreshment. Matt and my sister in law Becky both sent me an article from Desiring God - John Piper's ministry - about motherhood being our mission field , I have seen several on facebook and a few others in email. God is good to lift us up when we are weary!

As I was driving through town today, radio blaring this great CD by Andrew Peterson, singing "You've got to burp burp chicken wiggle, don't spit up, don't spit up, come on burp burp chicken wiggle don't spit up..." I suddenly realized how crazy and different and mundane and hard and wonderful and special and overlooked this whole thing called motherhood is. I'm not sure I would have thought about this if I hadn't just been encouraged/challenged to view this calling as my mission field. I'm not sure how to put all that I am thinking into words, but I am simply grateful for the reminder from the Lord that this IS important and it IS worthwhile and that He IS with me in it and that HE has given it great value and importance because it's about His kingdom advancing in my heart, in Matt's heart, in our kids hearts and in the world. This doesn't take away the hard and crazy and mundane parts about it, but it pumps them full of His presence and His purposes.

"A true love of the gospel overflows and overpowers. It will be in everything you do, however drab, however simple, however repetitive." Even singing a silly song about a baby needing to burp!

No comments: