Friday, September 11, 2009

One of those few days!

It's been a rough few days with our sweet #1. I don't even know how to describe it. But it feels like we took a step back about 6 months. Such a strong clash of the wills (mine and his) at every turn. "Buddy, we're done watching that show now, please turn off the TV and we'll go do art." "But I want to watch one more." "Buddy, we talked about only watching one, and that is what our plan is. Turn off the TV and let's do art or..." "NOOOO....I WANT A SHOW!!!" That would ensue for a while. I would discipline him throughout it all and finally he'd calm down enough to listen and talk, we'd pray (again) and move on with newness of life. But yikes. At every turn.

So, I say all of this, not to complain about my precious son or to vent a hard few days, but to process through it all and ask for your prayers for God to work in his heart and ours through this process. I feel like I constantly tell him "do this" or "don't do that" etc. It's hard to know when to give a little and when not to. IT's hard to know that I"m really teaching him about the love of God through Jesus in the Gospel when I am constantly correcting him. But I guess that shows him that I care and that I don't want him to continue in that sin and that my love for God my obeying God comes before a smooth series of events in a day.

Perhaps it would be good to remember to " casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7) and "And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." (Galatians 6:9)

Some sweet shots for me to hold onto in the hard moments!









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet boy! Hang in there! We have battles that you describe nearly every day with Asher. It is so hard some days, though, to remember that we are disciplining b/c we love them, and that we are to demonstrate the Father's love. I will be praying for yall during these hard times, and hope that it gets better soon!

The Westmorelands said...

kristen, for several days i've been meaning to comment on this post. THANK YOU SO MUCH for writing it! as alyssa said, it sounds so much like what we're dealing with on a daily basis with knox. it was so encouraging to read your post, not only to know that i'm not the only one, but to be reminded of my need to rely upon the Lord more than i do in disciplining my children! so, thanks!! after reading your preschool post (and after following your blog for a while now), i think your owen and my knox must be so much alike!! funny that they look alike, too :). hope y'all are having a good week!