Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"The Boy Who Went Away"

Tonight I read Owen this story - "The Boy Who Went Away" from his Read Aloud Bible Stories vol. 2 by Ella K. Lindvall. They are some of our favorite Bible stories - easy to read, simple points, and yet they don't skimp on the content. They get right to the heart of it! As was the case tonight. We had a rough evening - lots of melt downs. I think he's either tired or getting a cold or both. So we arrived at bedtime after a series of melt downs and discipline times. We both apologized to each other for getting angry and we forgave each other. We then sat down and read this story. What strikes me about this is the way that the Father receives the son after he has sinned and then returned. VERY different from the love I have for Owen when he sins. A great comfort and a great challenge. May we all grow in our understanding of God as our Father and the love He has for us, and may we all grow in the way we express that love to one another.

"The Boy Who Went Away"
(Luke 15:11-24)
"A big boy lived with his brother and his daddy.
The big boy was not happy. He didn't want his daddy to tell him what to do.
So one day -
the big boy took all his pennies and said "Good-bye." Then he went FAR AWAY down the road.
NOW his daddy couldn't tell him what to do. NOBODY told him what to do.
Nobody said "Eat your carrots," or, "Don't DO that," or, "It's time to go to bed."
The big boy did just what he wanted to do. Every day.
He took his pennies to the store. He bought just what he wanted. He had lots of fun until one day -
his pennies were all gone. "I know what to do," the big boy said. "I'll work. Then I'll get more pennies."
So he worked. He took care of a man's pigs. But he never got enough pennies. he was hungry. Every day.
At last the boy thought, the men who work for my daddy -they have lots to eat. I'll go home to my daddy.
I'll say to him, "Daddy, I've been bad. I haven't pleased God . I haven't pleased you. I'm sorry."
So the big boy started walking. STEP STEP STEP went his feet. STEP STEP STEP STEP all the way home.
His daddy saw him coming. His daddy ran and put his arms around him and gave him a kiss.
"Daddy," said the big boy, "I've been bad. I haven't pleased God. I haven't pleased you. I'm sorry."
His daddy wasn't angry. Oh, no. His daddy said, "Quick! Bring my boy some new clothes! Bring him shoes!
Bring him a ring! My boy has come home! Let's have a big dinner!" And they did."

No comments: