Monday, September 05, 2011

Day 1 complete!

So when we woke up this morning, Owen awoke as a Kindergarten-er and I awoke a teacher. We had our first day of homeschool Kindergarten (and preschool for Baxter) this morning. I would say overall it was a success. It didn't go exactly as I had envisioned it. In some ways it went better, in some ways anti-climactic and in other ways it brought up fears and wonderings I didn't expect.

I wondered if we were going to limit him by keeping him at home. He won't get to be in a class with other kids. He won't get to go to PE or art or music. Are my plans too simple? Why did it only take 5 minutes to complete something I thought would take 20 minutes? I am not trained for this!

He read THREE books to us during our reading time. He and Baxter worked together on a puzzle without fighting. I was able to remind Owen (and myself) that our learning of spelling and writing and phonics is to equip us to know God and to make Him known to others. Lucy took an awesome nap. We had Lucky Charms for a snack. Baxter discovered that a 6 and a 9 look the same depending on how you hold them.

Those are some of the wanderings of my mind from day 1. I trust that this is where the Lord has led us and He will be faithful. I am thankful that we ended the morning with smiles and joy. That is a blessing to me!

Here are a few pictures. I am sure more thoughts will come as the days and weeks go by...

A silly thing I did at the start of the day where we each wore two hats. Our normal hats (mommy, son) and our new hats (teacher, student). I think they got it. Baxter later asked me if he could call me mommy and not teacher. Sweet B.



Owen reading "Ronald Morgan goes to Bat" to us.



First day of school!



First "free writing/drawing" assignment. Yes, this is a picture of a house with stinky things next to it and it reads "My house is messy." Hmm...I thought it was cleaner than it's ever been in preparation for school starting. So encouraging!



Second page of the "free writing/drawing." A heart and a pin that says "I love my pin." This is in reference to a pin he received at Home Depot on Saturday morning from a daddy and me project. That was more of what I was looking for :)

6 comments:

Lori said...

So glad you guys had a great first day! Don't doubt yourself! You're doing a great job!

Melissa said...

Go, Team Purdy! Jesus shines through you! :) BTW...I love your wall calendar...where did you get it?

Melissa said...

I love LOVE the hats-- what a neat idea!

Ali said...

I am glad your day went well! I like the hats idea too.

Jill said...

Yeah for a great start! "God has called you to do this and He will equip you." (I read that somewhere and I like it!) You are doing a great job! Thanks for sharing the photos. Such cute pictures of Owen holding up his journal.

Unknown said...

Home schooling is a huge responsibility and I'm not surprised you are having doubts, but trust God and He will reveal His way. Good job and good blog. Glad I stumbled on you.
If you have time come visit me at barb-insearchofeden.blogspot.com