Monday, January 17, 2011

Not getting anything done

We are about 6 weeks into Lucy's life here with us - crazy to think! In so many ways, we are back to "normal" - I can make lunch, do the laundry, Matt can work normal hours, the boys are in school, etc. etc. There are also many things that we are still adjusting to.

I am back in the realm of eat, wake, sleep repeat ever 3 1/2 hours. Lucy is still a very content sweet baby, but she also really likes to be held and has some reflux issues we think (so she doesn't love to lay down on a blanket or in her bed etc. - thankfully she loves her bouncy seat). Because of all that loving and caring for Lucy entails right now PLUS the boys I feel like I am not getting anything done. The basics are getting done - we are eating, we have clothes to wear - but everything else is hanging on waiting for me to pay attention to it.

I was feeling like my days were a waste (or close to it) in light of all that is going undone, when the Lord reminded me of this truth from Ephesians 2:10 "For we are his workmanship,created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them." I realized that God has good works prepared for me each day. Some days, that will look like getting a lot of things accomplished. Other days, He wants me to work hard at loving my kiddos and caring for our sweet Lucy. Cuddles and snuggles and diaper changes and PBJ making and train playing are ALL included in the good works that He has prepared for me for this day. It gives me great hope and great joy and great rest to know that HE has prepared these things. That way, if a day comes and goes with out a closet being cleaned out or a floor being vacuumed, I know that HE was the author of that day, and I can trust that the good works that He did have prepared for me were accomplished.

I hope this makes sense...it is bringing me great peace and joy right now. I hope that it can help you in whatever your days look like!

5 comments:

Laura said...

I love this post! It is so true!! I am so glad that y'all are doing well....live that I get to keep up with your lives with your blog. It is always a pleasure to read!

Lauren Valentine said...

Kristen - Thanks for that truth. I'm definitely feeling encouraged as I struggle with those same feelings on a regular basis.

Lauren Valentine said...

Kristen,
Thanks for this post! I'm definitely feeling encouraged as I struggle with the same feelings on a regular basis. There's always so much to do!!

Danielle said...

Well, just so you know, I am really impressed that you are doing laundry. I've had a load in the dryer for two days no! (dry-but wrinkled!)

J. H. Harris said...

Finnian's 3 months and I'm still figuring out how to manage my schedule! I remember how hard the first couple weeks were - don't know how you do it with 3 kids!

Thank you for that encouragement, too!