Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Psalm 80

So I was reading Psalm 80 today during my Bible Study time. It was like water to my thirsty soul! For some reason I have felt rather parched spiritually the last few days - perhaps from the exhausting, self-sacrificing, continuous nature of motherhood! Here are a few of the words from the Psalm - they are a refrain that is repeated 3 or 4 times throughout Psalm 80.

"Restore us, O God; let your face shine, that we might be saved."
Psalm 80:3

It stood out to me so clearly why I am parched. I have been pursuing "restoration" in many things - none of which include the Lord. I have pursued it in a the hope of rest in a 4 day weekend, trying to pull myself together, wishing I had not been waken at 5am the last two days, peaceful playtimes, a full schedule, etc. You get the picture. The reason that I have been so parched is that my restoration - my strength, my joy, my purpose, my perspective - needs to be rooted in and grounded in God. In who God is, and what He has done and what He continues to do in and for me through Jesus today.

My soul is so encouraged by this truth! It's not all up to me! It's up to Him and He is able and willing!

I hope that you too will find a relief for your parched souls today in the Word of God! What a deep deep well it is!

No comments: